Tuesday 26 April 2011

When I grow up, I want to be.........

It is fast approaching the time when the second year trainees choose (or get shoe-horned into) their NQ positions. There is a sense of tension in the air; rumours of recruiting departments flit about, unsubstantiated and unverified, landing on a poor trainees ear and transforming into fully fledged Chinese whispers at the drop of a hat. Not unsurprisingly, heads of departments run past any and all trainees (mainly because they can't remember what year we are in) to avoid difficult conversations. I have noticed a large number of  'lunch' appointments appearing in the second year diaries, uncomfortable meals with supervisors and mentors to discuss their prospects.

It has made us first years consider our future. Some were ALWAYS going to qualify in one position and couldn't conceive of qualifying into anything else. Others give me the impression that it wouldn't matter what position they were offered as long they had a job. I am somewhere in between: I wouldn't accept a job that I didn't want to do but would compromise if I thought I could practice in what I was offered or could make the transition later on. The problem is, I don't actually know what I want to do!

We are being asked a lot at the moment if we have an idea and my 'none whatsoever' is generally met with a stupefied face. It is as if now we are in our second seat, we should have a clear idea of where we are going. For me, the opposite is true. I thought I had an idea before I started; a destined litigator. Although my first seat confirmed I don't want to go into property, it turns out I am quite good at non-contentious work. My second seat has made me realised I need to be steadily busy all the time to work my best; the peaks and troughs of insolvency are frazzling my brain! Neither has really enthralled me and (despite the boozy side of insolvency that does somewhat appeal) I can't see myself qualifying into either.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. I don't have any preference so approach each seat with an open mind. I have not focused my learning on one area to the point that I am useless in anything but that subject and neither am I so certain on my future career that I have written off the compulsory seat that doesn't fit. However, the fact that I am so comparatively clueless is making it very difficult to plan the next move. I am aware I might be missing opportunities that would be useful to me in the future. It must be very comforting to know exactly what you want to do.

I feel like I am back to that point in my a levels when I realised my chosen subjects of maths and art didn't really have any sustainable career options. A little bit lost with a lot options that sound too good to choose from. But how do I narrow it down? Back then I did a lot of taster sessions and work experience before settling on law because it felt right. I regret not getting some more legal work experience when I had the time. Doing a stint in a family department helped me exclude legal aid work, if I had done more I might have more of an idea now (take heed trainees-in-waiting!!). I don't think I will have quite the same opportunity now; can you imagine if I asked to split my third seat into 6 bite size chunks?

Luckily I am an optimist and am content to wait for now until something fits. Law felt right, I am sure one of my seats will slot in to place in time. Lets just hope that seat has a job this time next year or you will be reading the new improved Miss Unemployed. Promise I will keep the heels though!

No comments:

Post a Comment