Monday 7 March 2011

Russian Heavies and A Window Seat: Day 1 in Insolvency

So today was my first day as an Insolvency trainee. I spent most of the day reading in and organising myself  but I have learnt a few things already:

1. Being one extra floor up is a lot harder than just a flight of stairs - everything is that much further away. A trip to the post room now has to be planned rather than just making a quick dash down the stairs. I bumped into so many people walking through the building that it took half an hour!


My fake laugh model - too much?

2. A window seat IS more prestigious. I thought that it was some office politic nonsense that fee earners had got caught up in - the battle for a window seat. But now I am sat in one I can totally see the appeal! Plus I get to watch the circuit class lunge across the car park - 2 o'clock entertainment to break up the day.

3. The business partners like to make terrible jokes and expect the subordinates to laugh. As an example: someone brought back sweets from France today. Head of Business "I like bon bons. And these sweets are pretty good too! haw haw" *looks around to check everyone a) got it and b) is laughing* I'm going to have to practice my fake laugh to survive in this department

4. You don't leave at 5.30 in business. In property I once stayed until 6 and got told to go home. Tonight I didn't even realise it was 6 as the department was still buzzing. Guess I'm in for some late(r) nights!!!!

5. I don't drink tea if no one makes it for me (sorry Mr Bizzle I don't run on coffee). I thought I was addicted but turns out without a cup magically appearing on my desk (courtesy of some very efficient and equally caffeine addicted secretaries) I don't miss it......

I didn't learn a lot about insolvency, I'm sure that will come with time. Except, and I thought this was fairly obvious,  that hiring Russian heavies to forfeit a lease is not a good idea.........

No comments:

Post a Comment